Sunday, September 18, 2011

Golden Florence

I first travelled to Florence thirteen years ago.  Since then, I have re-visited multiple times and each time, I find something new and enticing.  Perhaps the continued love affair with Florence reflects my maturing as a traveller - I no longer look for or do the tourist thing.  Instead, I take pleasure in the long conversation; the meandering wander through the laneways and cobblestone streets; the simple delights of fresh produce; and just sitting and watching the world walk by.

This trip, my most recent, I truly came to understand what is meant by the Tuscan sun and its colours.  The way it wakes the city up and kisses it goodnight - it truly is beautiful.  And there is something serene and magnificent is the way it casts a spell over everything.  Even the busy city traffic seems different in the glow.

Florence is certainly a place to contemplate.  I find it tragic that some visitors, well tourists in truth, speed through in order to merely tick the boxes beside the key sights.  I love wandering, getting lost, sitting sore footed in an o'steria with a glass of red or a coffee, and trying out my dismal Italian skills.  I appreciate the way Florentines respond to my feeble language skills and seek to engage despite that.  They are wonderful people who love their city and are incredibly proud of its long history.  And lets face it, there is history on every corner.  Apart from the myriad of wonderful churches and cathedrals with their magnificent art works; there are so many galleries and museums to wile away the hours in.  

Just taking a stroll down the various streets, one can learn so much.  The Florentines have done a pretty good job of historical signage so you can easily discover history without too much effort.

Shopping - well, that too is mighty fine and for a shoe fanatic such as me, you can't go past the Italians for shoes.  The Florentines have an amazing fashion sense and I admire the fact that people appear to dress with individuality and just for themselves.  Body image and self-esteem issues appear to be absent in Florence.

So my advice.....take the time to fall in love in and with Florence.  You won't regret it and it will be a life long love affair.

No comments:

Post a Comment