Sunday, January 1, 2012

Australian Summer

The Australian summer can mean many things.


For some, its all about Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year celebrations and being with family and friends.  For children its all about school holidays; and for old folk, it just means hot weather!


But for me, summer brings so many wonderful memories of days gone by.  It was summer on the beach when I met my life partner and best friend. Summer reminds me of the farm where I grew up and playing under the sprinkler with my siblings.  It reminds me of watermelons and BBQs.  Crashing waves, sand and the smell of suncream.  I remember camping trips and water skiing weekends.  I also have more recent memories of wet seasons in the tropics, rugby in the stinking heat of the Northern Territory, diving and snorkeling in the Whitsunday Islands, and sitting under the cool shade of a fig tree in Kings Park.
The crackle and buzz of summer are just laced with snippets of memories all of which are powerful and very welcome.


But whatever summer means to people, there is one thing that summer certainly is in Australia - its the bluest sky you have ever seen; the richest contrasting colours you can imagine; and the widest spaces to let the spirits soar!

No comments:

Post a Comment